Andaman and Nicobar Island
Andaman and Nicobar Islands is one of the most beautiful place to explore. Here is an article interesting things to know about Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
It is situated on the Bay of Bengal region in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu to West and Myanmar to the North and East.
This area is in the proximity to the Malacca strait, which as the importance of water passage if seen in terms of trade.
Andaman and Nicobar as union territories
In India there are 8 union territories, in this Andaman and Nicobar is one of them.
West of South Andaman lies in the North Sentinel island which is occupied by Sentinelese tribe. However, let’s talk about these tribes in the later section.
It is an Island, which implies, any piece of subcontinent land that is surrounded by water.
For the first time, the flag of free India was raised in Andaman and Nicobar islands on Dec 1943, this island became part of India after independence, and as a UT in 1956.
This territory comprises of two islands group called Andaman island and Nicobar island; separated by 150Km wide Ten-degree channel.
- The collision between the Indian Plate and Burma Minor Plate (Eurasia plate), resulted in the formation of Andaman and Nicobar Island.
- Scientists have studied the rocks of this island which is believed that the existence of this land dates back to the Cretaceous age which is 94 million years ago.
- It is also one of the sea mountains since they have emerged from the ocean floor and have arisen above the sea surface just like the Hawaiian Islands.
- During 1014 – 1042 AD, Rajendra Chola I (South Indian Chola Empire) invaded these islands and used it as a Naval base.
Origin of Name
The name Andaman is derived from Hanuman, who was known to the Malays as Handuman.
The name of Nicobar seems to be a corruption of the South Indian term Nakkavaram(land of the Naked) as indicated in the great Tanjore Inscription of AD 1050.
Geography of Andaman and Nicobar Island
Andaman and Nicobar Islands incorporated of 572 islands, where the Andaman group has 325 Islands, where has the Nicobar group has 247 islands. Out of these 572 islands only 37are occupied by human.
The Andaman Islands lie in the north
- North Andaman
- Middle Andaman and
- South Andaman
North and Middle Andaman together form a district, south is another district. The Capital city of Andaman Nicobar is port Blair
The Nicobar Island lie in the south, where the Great Nicobar reserve is situated.
The Indira Point, the last village in the Nicobar district, which is the southernmost point of republic India.
Tribes in Andaman and Nicobar
West of South Andaman lies in the North Sentinel island which is occupied by Sentinelese tribe. The Andaman Islands are home to the Sentinelese people, an uncontacted people.
Sentinelese are the only people currently known to not have reached further than a Paleolithic level of technology.
Languages spoken in Andaman and Nicobar Island
In 1956, the Government of India declared north sentinel island as tribal reserve.
As the name of the islands, we can think the most common languages spoken here is Andamanese or Nicobarese, which is not.
The most widely spoken language is Bengali and followed by Hindi Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam.’
Andaman Creole Hindi is widely used as a trade language in the Andaman Islands. Bengali is the most spoken language in Andaman and Nicobar Islands Hindi is the official language of Andaman and Nicobar.
Flora and fauna
This territory has 12 types of forest cover.
- Giant evergreen forest
- Andamans tropical evergreen forest
- Southern hilltop tropical evergreen forest Canebrakes
- Wet bamboo brakes
- Andamans moist deciduous forest
- Andamans secondary moist deciduous forest
- Littoral forest
- Mangrove forest
- Andaman semi-evergreen forest.
- Brackish water mixed forest
- Sub montane forest
- Grasslands occur only in the Nicobar Islands.
- Around 50 types of forest mammals are found in this region. Salt crocodile is abundant.
- Mount Harriet National park for butterfly and moth is present in this island.
- Pandunus or Nicobar Breadfruit is a rare fruit available and widely eaten in Nicobar.
Declared as a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 2013.
Why do people visit it?
Andaman and Nicobar is a paradises in India and It is very less populated region which is soundly less in pollution.
Clear sky, fresh air in the bank of beaches, which gives a way to recharge the lost zeal in life, and the ocean brimming and the rich marine diversity and climatic condition and coral gardens, with the patriotic touch of cellular jail, and many more places make it unspoken mandatory visiting spot and the environment it has that helps you bring peace and refreshes you.
Some of the most famous places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands are:
- The major attraction is the cellular jail, which today is memorial to the freedom fighters.
- Cellular jail is the most famous British Colonial prison sit in Port Blair. The prison came into action in the year 1906.
- The use of cellular jail was to exile the political prisoners.
- Prisoners faced a horrifying violence from the then ruling British Government Officials.
- However, the prison is now a national memorial monument which showcases the life of prisoners during the British era.
- Andaman and Nicobar is as paradise of birds.
- Andaman has 270 species of birds including migratory and endemic birds.
- Mount Harriet, in part Blair (capital) which has 7 endangered species.
- Including Andaman wood pigeon, Andaman cuckoo dove, Andaman scoops own, woodpecker, Andaman boobook, Andaman drongo and Andaman treepie.
- Mahatma Gandhi marine national park is in port Blair which is man-made port.
- Mount Harriet national park.
- Campbell bay national park (Aquatic life).
- A&I currently has 9 nine national parks.
- Dugong, the gentle sea cow, is the state animal of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The largest living arthropod in the world, Birgus Latro or Robber crab, resides here.
Bara tang in Andaman is only place in India with mud volcanoes. Bara tang island is famous for its mangrove forest.
Bearing with rich flora and fauna exploring this land is real fun.
Saddle peak, which is the highest peak of Andaman can be found.
Guided trekking is there as well, Chidiya Tapu is the birds paradises where trekking is making possible as well.
Don’t forget about Scuba diving, sea kart, Jet ski ride, fishing.
- Neil island is famous for scuba diving/snorkeling/sea walking.
- Havelock island is famous for coral reef, luxurious destination.
A&I islands have a tropical climate, the weather is humid, Best time to visit from mid of November to April.
Concluding, Andaman and Nicobar is bunch of exciting places to visit and acquire knowledge about it. For instance, the 20 rupees note depicts a scene from Andaman and Nicobar Island which many of them have no idea about it.
In addition to the above example, lets take one more example , Airtel and Vodafone are the only private players in the islands to provide mobile services, BSNL is the sole provider to the Nicobar Islands in the south.