Here, in this article let’s know few high lights about Port Blair.
Port Blair, the capital city of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, an Indian Territory in the Bay of Bengal. It serves as the entry point for visiting the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Andaman and nicobar has tropical everygreen forest, it is also known as paradise of Birds. It is believed that Andaman has 270 species of birds including endemic species.
Port Blair is also the largest city of the twin islands (Andaman and Nicobar Islands ) and mainly famous for the beautiful beaches with palm lined shores.
This place is awesome to explore and find peace because all you get that after exploring this beautiful place is peace. Try a visit here as you will fall in love with it.
Lets see about the history of this Island.
- The indigenous Andamanese people have been isolated from the other populations since 30,000 years ago.
- Around 1001-1100 AD, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands was under the rule of Srivijaya Empire(Malay ethnic group)
- During 1014-1042 AD, Rajendra Chola I (South Indian Chola Empire ) invaded these islands and uses it as Naval Base
- Maratha Empire under Kanhoji Angre had temporary base of these islands.
- Danish East India Company arrived at Nicobar Islands on the 12th Dec 1755.
- British East India Company arrived in 1789. They used it as cellular jail (Kalapani).
- It was occupied by the Japanese during World War II on 2nd March 1942 without opposition from the garrison
- And was later returned to the British during the time when Lord Mountbatten was viceroy of India.
- From 1943-1944 during World War II, it served as the headquarters of the Azad Hind government under Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Port Blair can be reached from main land India both by sea and air. It takes 2-3 hours from mainland India to Port Blair’s Veer Savarkar International Airport by flight.
- This place is about 778 miles(1225km) from Kolkata (Culcutta) and around 738 miles (1,191 km) from Chennai.
- It is connected to all islands by ferries The Phoenix Bay Jetty and the Haddo Wharf, are the most reliable harbors.
- Direct flights to/from Chennai, Kolkata, Delhi, and Bangalore are available.
Port Blair Airport
Andaman’s only commercial airport, Veer Savarkar International Airport is in port Blair, thus making it your only entry and exit point into the islands.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands have a tropical climate. Here there is no winter season as the weather is found humid.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands has rainy season which occurs almost for 6 months.
- The South West Monsoon faced in India is first met by this Andaman and Nicobar Islands before reaching India.
- It receives an average rainfall of about 127 inches(3,180mm) and has a mean temperature in the mid – 80s F (about 30°C.)
- It has large amount of precipitation throughout the year.
- All months except January, February and March receives substantial rainfall.
Population of Port Blair
As of 2011 India census, Port Blair had a population of 100,608 ,where males constitute 52.92% of the population and females 47.07%.
9.3% of the population was under the age of 6 years.
- Now coming to the literacy rate port Blair has an average literacy rate if 89.76%, higher than the national average.
- Where male literary rate is 92.79% and female literary rate is 86.34%
Languages used here is mostly Bengali. Port Blair is a vibrant mix of Indian Ocean inhabitants – Bengalis, Tamils, Telugus, Nicobarese and Myanmarese.
Places to visit in Port Blair
- Cellular jail
- Corbyn’s cove
- Samudrika naval marine museum
- Ross Island.
- Viper Island
All these places were once home to the British colonists.
Don’t miss out Gandhi statue and Port Blair science Centre.