In this booming technological period smart phone addiction has became one the unsolved problem, so now lets have a look on few numerals of phone usages. Most of us are addicted to mobile phones, which are basically smartphones. Only a few has basic mobile handsets. More than 5 billion in the world own mobile devices. According to GSMA real time intelligence data, exactly 5.13 billion people in the world own mobile devices. That is 66.5% of the world’s population. This is huge isn’t it?. as phone usage increases in return smart phone addiction increases as well.
It is necessary in this 21st century where all the fields of our society are digitalized. These days we find ourselves constantly texting, surfing the internet, playing games all the day. People these days are glued to their phones rather than books, work and other works that are important than spending time on their phone.
With the average person checking their phones 47 times a day, this results in over 3 hours per day spent on mobile and picking up their phones 2617 times per day. You spend most of your time just by checking up your phone. Think of these hours spending on useful things like reading or doing things, you love, making you more productive and positive towards yourself.
What made me to write this article?
I used to spend my most of the time with my phone and never remember me without my phone and used to carry wherever I go. On an average, I used to spend minimum 10 hours daily on my phone. As a result, I faced lot of consequences because of my long phone usage.
What I did in return?
Then I decided to reduce using my phone day by day. Finally, I ended up with maximum an hour of my phone usage. You will not know the benefits of reducing your screen time when you are into your phone addiction. However, when you start reducing your phone, that will make you crazy happy.
Beginning with reducing your screen time is difficult because you already made it has a habit of your daily life, but with proper mind-set you can overcome with this phone addiction.
In addition, trust me if you do not make up your mind to reduce your screen time, it will ruin your life sooner than you realize. I do not talk about people who work on their phone for earning or learning, but for them who are wasting their precious time doing useless stuffs on their phones.
Here are few steps that helps you reduce your phone usage
Decide whether you want phone or not
- This the most important step if you have decided to stop using your phone for a longer time.
- First decide yourself whether is it necessary for you to have your phone. I know it sounds crazy, in this internet world living without phone.
- I personally suggest goals are more important than your phones. If you are a school student, I do not think you need phone. You can survive with your textbooks and reference books. Of course, you can use your parent’s phone to clear your doubts, do it only if it’s necessary.
- If you are someone who is aiming to reach your goals within your fixed time then do not use phones, concentrate on your goals. If you find reason to use phone, then you will never end up stopping your addiction. There are many reasons to use your phone as well as there are more that you need not require phone especially smart phones.
- If you are working person, then follow these below steps to decrease your smartphone use.
Start from small and make it large to beat smart phone addiction
- Challenge yourself that you are going to overcome with the phone addiction.
- You already know how long you are using your phone; it can be 8+ hours a day. Reduce it gradually day by day.
- Decide yourself that your are going to reduce half an hour today , tomorrow an hour, keep reducing your phone usage until you feel you are progressing well in your life.
- Reduce as much as you can, never postpone, thinking I’ll start from tomorrow, today I’ll use as much as I can. Be careful if you are using your phone you are getting addicted to it. It is difficult when you reach worst stage, before you, reach there try yourself to overcome.
- It will be difficult for you in the beginning, do not lose hope try until you become succeed.
- You may fail many times, but never give up, when you can use your phone all the day, you can even stay without your phone too.
- Reward yourself when you spent less time on your phone. This concept is called positive self – reinforcement and it is used in the therapy in order to teach an individual positive behavior with a reward system.
- Rewarding yourself encourages being more productive and staying happier.
Delete unwanted apps
- Delete or uninstall apps that are most time consuming. It can be any apps, apps you check most often. For example, I have no WhatsApp on my phone now, where I used to spend more hours on it.
- If you cannot uninstall apps that you feel, you require those apps then keep it in a separate screen, do not keep your distracting apps on your home screen of your phone.
- Doing so you can stop using those apps as soon as you unlock your phone.
- It’s quite common you uninstall apps in the morning, by the end of the day you re-install it again. Do not do this once you have deleted or uninstalled never step back. Try it for few days, and then automatically you will be used to it.
Stop using your phone in bed
- Do not use your smartphone while you are in bed.
- Studies have shown that using your smartphones in bed affects your healthy sleep, because the blue light messes with your sleep hormones. The blue light emitted by your mobile phone screen restrains the production of melatonin, the hormone that controls your sleep-wake cycle(circadian rhythm )
- This makes it even more difficult for you to fall asleep and wake up early the next day.
- According to the Harvard study, reading a screen before sleeping will cause you to feel more sleepy and groggy when you wake up in the morning.
- Using your mobile phones in bed affects your sleep as well it destroys your next day plans because you will be more tired and feel exhausted to wake up early in the morning.
- I used to use my phone late nights and felt exhausted to do work in the next morning.
- I implemented this recently, ever since I got back into strict rules of no screen after 9 pm, I have been sleeping peacefully without any stress and wake up early with positive mind set to complete all my day plans.
- Trust me do make it a habit for at least 10 days, you will see wonders in your life.
Give a makeover to your phone
- Makeover does not mean change your phone looks. There are settings in your phone that helps improve your focus on your work and goals, for instance, google as wellbeing option in almost all smart phones.
- Change some settings in your mobile. Below are some settings that helps you to stay focused and reduce your screen time.
- Turn on do not disturb when you are doing something important like when you are studying or doing work. This helps you prevent from calls, messages, and notifications that interrupts you during your focus time.
- Turn of all the notifications of your distracting apps. Personally, I only left notifications on for email, and few utility apps. This will reduce the number of times your phone rings or vibrates.
- Group those distracting apps into folders and keep it on a separate screen. For example, I have grouped YouTube, music app and few more apps under one folder as entertainment apps, which I use only to get refreshed. In addition, chat messages apps under one folder. You can group according to apps you have in your phone.
- Set a limit to your most often used apps, this prevents you from using those apps for a longer time. I have kept a limit of 15 minutes for chat messages apps, which I used to use very often. When I try to cross the time limit of that app, it prevents me from using the app. This was you can limit yourself from phone addiction.
- Even you can put your apps into focus mode before you start doing something productive and important stuffs. This makes even more comfortable when you are into something.
Concentrate on your hobbies and reduce phone addiction.
- There may be some free time or breaks during your schedules. Do not spend this time on your phone, it is your time, so do something you love, like your hobbies or something you want to do.
- Doing something you love helps you relieve your stress levels, gives you a sense of self – efficacy.
- Hobbies can improve the quality of your life, lower blood pressure, strengthen your immune system, and even improve your ability to concentrate. This way you can use your free time rather than gluing to your phone.
Use motivational pictures
- You might have some motivation pictures that you liked and saved on your phone. That is ok if you do not have any, Google and get some pictures on your phone.
- Use those pictures as your screen lock and home wallpaper. Use it as background images in apps you visit many times.
- Using it on screen lock and home wallpaper makes, you remind every time when you try to unlock your screen for no reason.
Set restricted areas
- Set yourself restricted zones that you never use your phone in those areas. For example, I have restricted myself not to use my phone when I am in kitchen, while having food, in toilet.
- This helped me to beat my addiction towards my phone day by day.
- You have to set up your mind in those areas that you are not going to use phone, phone free zones.
I know implementing these steps is not that easy, but if you want to tackle with your phone addiction, you have to take these steps. You will be amazed at your results, the changes in your life without smartphone. Personally, I feel life is more relaxing and delightful without smartphone addiction. I am enjoying every moment of my life where I used to spend my time texting, playing games, taking selfies. You will know the difference only when you beat this smartphone addiction and you will never get back to smartphone addiction again.