This article is on home remedies for cough.
If you’re thinking cough is a bad thing, let me tell you good news, no it’s not a bad thing to cough. Yes!!!
Because coughing is a normal and healthy reflex. It helps your body clear the passageway to make breathing easier. Coughing helps your body clear your airways of mucus, smoke and other irritants.
However, persistent coughing is not appreciable as it can be very annoying. Coughing rarely is good. But constant coughing is a symptom of number of conditions.
Causes of cough
Cough can be typically caused by infections including the common cold, flu, strep throat, allergies, a viral infection, or a bacterial infection.
Usually, common cough tends to be quite painful, however, they often go away on its own within a week. But, tolerating cough for a week is a big deal.
So here are some home remedies that can help your cough go away.
Honey as home remedy for cough
- The first thing your parents or grand parents tell you when you have cough is to take honey.
- Because honey is an ancient home remedy for cough.
- Honey has antibacterial properties and immune-boosting antioxidants that helps reduce your cough.
- Add two spoons of honey into the warm water and drink twice a day for an effective result.
- But never give honey to children under age 1 to avoid infant botulism.
Hot water for cough
- Drinking hot water may help loosen mucus and soothe an irritating throat.
- Drinking hot water helps you reduce the irritation and also improves the blood flow to the muscles causing muscle relaxation.
- Moreover, hot water or warm water also helps on flushing out the toxins build up in the throat, providing relief from a sore throat.
- Drinking hot water helps you keep hydrated. Due to which the cells in the body gets hydrated, loosening the mucus which makes it easy to expel phlegm or a cough.
- While salt water is an effective remedy for killing the bacteria in your throat, loosening the mucus and easing pain.
- Salt water reduces phlegm and mucus in the back of the throat which can lessen the need to cough.
- Just take a glass of water and put half a teaspoon of salt into it. Stir it until it dissolves. Gargle using this water for 3 to 4 minutes for multiple times. It’s better if you take warm water.
- Ginger has long been used to treat nausea and upset stomach, but there is evidence that it can also suppress the cough reflex by relaxing the smooth muscles of the airways.
- Ginger has active component called gingerol that helps bolster your body from within and provide instant relief.
- Drinking ginger tea for a few times in a day can help in eliminating excess mucus that causing you pain.
- Taking steam is one the simplest and easiest way to get rid of cough. The warm vapor that comes from water adds moisture to the air and may help ease congestion and coughing.
- The moisture can also ease your breathing and loosen mucus, helping you cough it up.
- Bring a big bowl of water to boil, add few pieces of ginger into it. Once the water is boiled enough start taking steam by covering your head completely from a towel. Keep head above the bowl and deep breathe through nose. For added effect don’t forget to add ginger!!
Turmeric as home remedy for cough
- Turmeric is the one of the best, popular and effective way to fight against cold and cough.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound which may have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties that helps in dissolving mucus.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to warm milk and drink it twice a day. If you are allergic with milk, drink it with warm water or you can gargle as well.
These home remedies are the most effective ones. If you have cough constantly for more than two days, it is must to see a doctor!